I also had a new helper, freshly back from a journey through Eastern Europe. E was a fantastic help with some framing, and some air sealing the foundation to framing joint. Oh, she’ll be back to help more! Smart, and a hard worker!
The roof insulation dried out enough that the roofers could put the Sika Sarnafil PVC membrane roof on, just in time for a lot of rain predicted in the next two days.
Today the siding arrived. It has made a long journey from Switzerland to our home, and I had the pleasure of offloading it with a forklift (of which I have only driven once before in my life) very carefully. This is really great cement board that has an integrated color all the way through. No painting, no re-painting, EVER! It will be used as the siding for the front area of the home, and a different color for the roof fascia. I got it safely in the garage, where it will wait for install.
Lastly, after the rain that soaked the house, and somewhat messed up the (finished) concrete floors last week, I threw some OSB plywood over the windows to keep the wind driven rain from the oncoming storm out of the house.
Next we put the 2″ of exterior foam insulation on the house, covered by Vaproshield house wrap, and get the windows installed about October 12.
Not much has happened this week. Finished framing the interior upstairs walls, and while L and I were cleaning up lumber around the house, we found this little bat between sheets of OSB plywood leaning against the house under the patio roof. He stayed there all day, so we left he plywood so as not to disturb him/her.
We will get the Sika Sarnafil membrane roof installed on Monday. Then we’ll start on the exterior insulation at the main floor level, getting ready for windows in a couple weeks or so.
After windows go in, we are officially “dried in”.
It rained, and rained, and rained from hell! 3 months of no rain and it rains the day after we put insulation on the roof.
The poly-iso insulation on the roof got really wet, as well as the rest of the house, but the roofing contractor insists the insulation will dry and can be roofed over on Monday. I have my doubts as to whether it will dry enough, but it will be able to dry to the inside for months over the winter. We have a very dry climate here, which will help.
This is part of the construction process, weather happens, and can not be controlled, so you just deal with it the best you can. I just hoped we could get it covered before any rain since we had been lucky enough to have it stay dry over the course of framing. Oh well, the sun did come out today!
Well, we loaded all that foam on to the roof to put the exterior insulation on the roof. L and I put down 3.5″ of insulation, it went pretty fast, and fairly easy. The next step was to put down a water barrier for a few days as there was a possibility for rain, and this type insulation should not get wet. In the mean time the last 1.5″ of insulaiton was stacked in bunks on the roof.
We started putting on the water barrier….then the wind came. It’s like having an out of control sailboat on a roof. We called it a day weighted down the bunks of 1.5 insulation and left.
Enter the next morning where we arrived at 7:00 a.m. while the wind was calm, to find the carnage of 1 bunk of insulation off the roof, and in the neighbors yard, some of it impaled! We got the water barrier on without any trouble, and all was well…then the wind came…again!!!!
When I came back from grabbing a sandwich for lunch, some of the water barrier was ripped off the roof, so I climbed on the roof to find even more torn off by 30-40 MPH gusts.
I threw up my arms, and pulled all the water barrier off after only putting it on hours before. Had I not, the wind would have done the job for me, and stacked it neatly in the neighbors yards, again.
I haven’t updated for a while, so here goes…..Framing is almost done, some hangers, blocking and brackets left to put in then we will get the framing inspection early next week.
I spent a fair amount of last week framing the deck.
My wife, “L” took this past week off work to help out. Together we framed the interior upstairs walls. Then we rented a 26′ Penske box truck that we loaded with 4,000 square feet of rigid Polyiso foam insulation for the roof and walls, we unloaded it at the building site, and proceeded to stack it on the roof, and inside the main floor with an all-terrain fork lift. All I can say is I have the best wife and life partner in the world!
Sunday, with the help of two brothers, we will nail on the roof insulation and cover it with a waterproof material until the roofing contractor comes up mid week and installs the Sika Sarnafil membrane roof. This will be a big relief as it is one BIG step closer to getting the house dried in for winter. After the roofing goes on we’ll put exterior insulation on the walls of the home, cover with a waterproof, yet breathable house wrap, and get windows in around the first of October.
The roof package of lumber arrived, but not without some drama. The truck delivering the beams, the longest one a 52 foot Glulam beam, somehow slid off the road, dumped a load of 16′ long 2×4’s and the 5/8″ roof sheathing onto the road, and messed up his truck a bit on a tree. Luckily the GLB’s that are exposed in the house were not messed up.
The framers installed the beams with a crane, and got part of the roof joists up. We also started framing the basement interior walls. L (the wife) and I framed about half the basement today, and will finish up tomorrow. We are doing all the interior, non bearing wall framing ourselves.
We also got the stone for the chimney stack delivered.
Front porch overhang beam.