Spent part of today putting the fascia board on the back side of the house. Not too bad installing from a ladder, but the front side with the big overhang over the driveway will be more challenging. I’ll be doing it from a rented man lift. This is the through colored cement board that does not need painting….hopefully ever!
Fascia board and firring strips on north and east side of house.
Cement board fascia with exposed fasteners detail.
We finally got the windows in and had a carpenter hang the front and back door. The windows and front and back door frames are Sierra Pacific brand, aluminum clad wood windows. We chose to hang wood doors on the SP window frames for a specific look we like, as well as to not have so much “see-thru” into the house from the front door. There is a side light to the doors where one could see in.
We still need to get the garage door and man door next to the garage hung, so we are completely closed in and can get the house to warm up a bit for working on the inside during the winter.
Here are some photos…
First window (sliding glass door) going in.
great room windows at deck level.
House wrapped in black house wrap ready for window installation.
Solid slab wood front door hung on aluminum clad wood frames that match the windows.
Master bedroom windows in afternoon light.
Not too much has happened since it’s hard to work when it’s butt cold out, windy with sideways rain, and 87% humidity.
The gas fireplace in the great room was installed I am working toward getting the fascia ready for the finish material so we can get the fascia boards on and then the roof finished up with drip edge and the top of the chimney weather proofed.
I spent time lying on my stomach leaning over the edge of the roof putting furring strips on for the fascia cement board. The cement board needs air flow on both sides, so therefore requires the furring strips.
The masons put the stone on the chimney last week and E and I finished getting the rest of the exterior foam on the walls today and will put the remainder of the house wrap on tomorrow so windows can be installed on Monday and Tuesday.
The stone work on the chimney above the roof. The somae will be on the patio and inside the house int he great room.
The view while lying on my stomach over the edge of the roof attaching furring stips to the fascia.
The chimney framed before the stone went on .
E cutting more exterior foam out of windows on the house.
Fireplace in the great room installed.
After too much rain, wind and cold, this was the view while driving home.
Finally we are installing the exterior foam and house wrap to get ready for the windows to be delivered on Oct. 10th and installed that week. The foam is 2″ of polyisocyanurate Or Polyiso for short. The house will be wrapped with Vaproshield Reveal shield house wrap for the open rain screen design of the fiber cement panels. This stuff is like a goretex fabric on the house. As I install the foam, the housewrap needs to be put on right after to keep any rain off of the foam, as we are expecting some rain this week.
I had E’s help again for the day which saves me a lot of time. We installed the 2 basement windows today as well.
E. cutting out the windows with a reciprocating saw after covering them with exterior Polyiso foam.
Back part of the home covered with Polyiso exterior foam.
Back part of the house partially covered with the Vaproshield house wrap.
I also had a new helper, freshly back from a journey through Eastern Europe. E was a fantastic help with some framing, and some air sealing the foundation to framing joint. Oh, she’ll be back to help more! Smart, and a hard worker!
E cutting on the miter saw
E grabs the nail gun and continues framing while I was busy with the mason, who cam to check out the chimney job.
The roof insulation dried out enough that the roofers could put the Sika Sarnafil PVC membrane roof on, just in time for a lot of rain predicted in the next two days.
Today the siding arrived. It has made a long journey from Switzerland to our home, and I had the pleasure of offloading it with a forklift (of which I have only driven once before in my life) very carefully. This is really great cement board that has an integrated color all the way through. No painting, no re-painting, EVER! It will be used as the siding for the front area of the home, and a different color for the roof fascia. I got it safely in the garage, where it will wait for install.
Lastly, after the rain that soaked the house, and somewhat messed up the (finished) concrete floors last week, I threw some OSB plywood over the windows to keep the wind driven rain from the oncoming storm out of the house.
Next we put the 2″ of exterior foam insulation on the house, covered by Vaproshield house wrap, and get the windows installed about October 12.
The roof finish material installed, no rain can get through now!
Kind of a selfie loading the siding material into the garage.
SwissPearl siding material in the garage.
House boarded up from rain, as if it was abandon.
Not much has happened this week. Finished framing the interior upstairs walls, and while L and I were cleaning up lumber around the house, we found this little bat between sheets of OSB plywood leaning against the house under the patio roof. He stayed there all day, so we left he plywood so as not to disturb him/her.
We will get the Sika Sarnafil membrane roof installed on Monday. Then we’ll start on the exterior insulation at the main floor level, getting ready for windows in a couple weeks or so.
After windows go in, we are officially “dried in”.
Our bat visitor hiding between sheets of OSB leaning against the house.