The crew started setting foundation forms today….and all was well.
Until I measured the windows which were set too low on the wall. This is why, as an owner builder, I take the time to double check these things as they are much easier to fix before the concrete is poured.
In their defense, the crew looked exhausted after a long day in 90-95 degree heat. Mistakes can happen, and if they are caught early, it’s an easier fix. This looks like really hard work!
As I looked at the forms on the front of the home, I realized the finished floor elevation of the main level, great room, is about 6 feet above existing grade, which is a foot or so above what I expected, but will afford really great views of the Midway and Heber valleys from the great room and deck!
One side of foundation form walls set. After they build all the walls, they support and straighten them.
Rebar, rebar, and more rebar!
Concrete forms standing tall!
I am breathing a sigh of relief that we finally got footings poured. The soil is clay, where it’s not rock, so I didn’t want to get the footings dug, have a big rainstorm, and try to pour footings in a puddle.
Now I need to decide whether to paint the footings with an elastomeric paint. Why you may ask….to create a capillary break between the footing and the foundation wall, so if water gets to the footing, it stops it from wicking from the footing up the foundation wall causing basement moisture problems. This probably is not too much of a concern where we are so dry, and on slope, that’s why I am debating if it is worth the effort.
We should pour foundation walls by the end of next week, perhaps as early as Wednesday.
Lots and Lots of rebar.
Footings being poured.
Concrete crew working hard.
View of the pump truck from the road.
Foundation forms ready to be set after the footings dry.
Pump truck and build site.
I realized that the initial renditions I posted earlier, are outdated. As we went through the process of design and engineering, changes were made and therefore the house looks a little different. We removed the studio/workshop to the east as we couldn’t justify the expense and weren’t sure what we would do with it. The deck that wraps from the back patio to the front porch was added very late in the process, and as of last week the windows to the south deck were changed to sliding glass doors to give access to the deck.
The exterior is clad with Swiss Pearl fiber cement board. A through colored cement board that is very dense and does not need to be painted. It’s a really fantastic and beautiful material from Switzerland that is available in many colors. http://www.swisspearl.com We will be using a grayish blue color in 6-1/2″ strips in an “open rainscreen” design (more on that later) for the main upper level of the home and the North section of the home will be a rusted steel standing rib product.
The home is about 2100 square feet of living space with about 700 SF of garage and gear storage.
East side and orange entry door.
Southwest side with covered patio.
Southwest aerial rendition.
South view of viewing windows and deck.
After a week of digging and hammering with an enormous track hoe, the site is ready for footings. They will be formed tomorrow, June 23rd, and poured on the 24th. The temperatures have been in the 90’s so the site is getting really dusty! I’m hoping to connect the water meter and a hose bib where a sprinkler stop and waste will be so we have water on site in the next week or so.
One thing I dislike about building is how it destroys the landscape while excavating and building. We have tons of dirt that we will try to use with some landscaping berms and such.
We also have a big pile of rocks now!
The dust from the driveway in the afternoon sun.
View to the East. The notches in the dig are for spot footings for the deck.
View southwest. Maybe we should leave the big pile of dirt that hides the neighbors house!
This is what a repaired large phone line looks like :-0
I got a call from the excavator today. “Umm … there’s a lot of rock, we’re going to have to bring in a hammer, it going to cost more,….”
Well, I’ve always heard that if you hit bedrock, it is difficult. On the bright side, it’s not a Swamp!
L and I went to see progress tonight, and saw a “hole lotta rock”, then we sat in the grass, made a cheer, and had a beer 🙂
The excavator started digging the footings today and it appears he is digging through rock! I suspect it is compressed clay from gazillions of years, but I am going to defer to my genius geologist friend….you know who you are! Happy Birthday!
I also got to park for the first time in my driveway! and then went for a ride 🙂
I should add, the trail that ran across the lot is no longer continuous due to the driveway, and house excavation. Four cyclists came through tonight while I was there and were somewhat surprised at the change, but were understanding. I had a good chat with them for while.
FINALLY! We began excavating today, cutting the driveway, and will take a couple more days to dig the foundation. The weather looks to be warm and dry for the next week which is great since I don’t want a hole full of water. A few photos to prove it actually happened. I should pinch myself to be sure it’s actually happening….
The Trail’s End….literally.
Grubbing and cutting the driveway
Working around the few Gambel Oak that are on the property.